Scientific name: Serenoa Repens
Other names: American Dwarf Palm Tree, Cabbage Palm, Palmier Nain, Sabal, Saw Palmetto, Saw Palmetto Berry
Part used: Fruits
Origins & Properties
Its origin from the southeastern United States, most commonly along the Atlantic and Gulf Coastal plains, but also as far inland as southern Arkansas.
Saw palmetto is used popularly in Europe to treat symptoms of enlarged prostate. Although it is not considered the standard of care in the United States, it is the most popular herbal treatment for this condition.
More than two million American men use saw palmetto for enlarged prostate, and it is commonly recommended as an alternative treatment by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Saw palmetto has also been used for low sperm count, low sex drive, hair loss, bronchitis, diabetes, inflammation, migraine, and prostate cancer, although there is limited evidence supporting its effectiveness for these conditions.
- Men’s health: Retains testosterone levels and boosts weight loss, strength, pain response, and sex drive
- Prevent hair loss: Protects against baldness and lessen hair loss
- Aphrodisiac: Increases sex drive and libido in men and women
- Heal bladder disorder: Reduces inflammation of the bladder and painful urination
- Increase muscle mass: It helps build muscles while working out by boosting testosterone level
To know more about plants, click here.